There are seven types of seating available in Indian Railways.
- AC First Class (1A): Passengers are seated in two- or four-berthed private compartments, which are air-conditioned and spacious. This is the most expensive ticket.
- AC 2 Tier (2A): Passengers are seated in air-conditioned carriages that are split into two- or four-berthed compartments that are separated by curtains.
- AC 3 Tier (3A): Passengers are seated in air-conditioned three-tiered compartments
- First Class (FC): Passengers are seated in two- or four-berthed private, non-air conditioned compartments.
- AC Chair Car (CC): Air-conditioned seating with reclining seats.
- Sleeper (SL): Similar to AC 3 Tier, but without air conditioning.
- Second Seating (2S): Non-air conditioned seating accommodation on bench-styled seats.